Paul Rutherford-USA TODAY Sports
More power rankings after another week of action. So what’s changed since last time?
Well, only minor shuffling among the top six teams with North Carolina moving up after a win over Virginia Tech. Same in the middle with teams No. 7 through 9 shifting a bit after the Pitt loss to Boston College.
The most shuffling actually occurred at the bottom. Duke makes a big jump after beating Syracuse and Louisville takes the biggest tumble after losing to Georgia Tech. Speaking of the Yellow Jackets, you might wonder why they did not move after the 19-point beatdown they gave to Louisville. That was due to their earlier loss to Syracuse, which I’m keeping above them for now. You can certainly make a case that Georgia Tech belongs a bit higher but they were blown out by the Orange (by 17) and UCF (by 28). Their two wins are to what are now the last two teams in the conference — Louisville and Florida State.
Here are my rankings after Week 5. A team’s previous ranking is in parentheses just before their name. Let me know where you agree/disagree.
- (1) Clemson (4-0): 42-17 win over Miami
- (2) Notre Dame (3-0): 42-26 win over Florida State
- (5) North Carolina (3-0): 56-45 win over Virginia Tech
- (3) Miami (3-1): Lost to Clemson
- (4) Virginia Tech (2-1): Lost to North Carolina
- (6) NC State (3-1): 38-21 win over Virginia
- (9) Boston College (3-1): 31-30 win over Pitt
- (7) Pitt (3-2): Lost to Boston College
- (8) Virginia (1-2): Lost to NC State
- (12) Wake Forest (1-2): Idle
- (15) Duke (1-4): 38-24 win over Syracuse
- (11) Syracuse (1-3): Lost to Duke
- (13) Georgia Tech (2-2): 46-27 win over Louisville
- (10) Louisville (1-3): Lost to Georgia Tech
- (14) Florida State (1-3): Lost to Notre Dame