Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images
A quick look back at the Steelers’ first game, and first win, of the 2020 regular season.
Let’s Get The Season Started! The Steelers open the season on the road (AGAIN) and still have to travel north, but at least no further north than New Jersey. There the New York Giants await the return of Ben Roethlisberger, a dominant Pittsburgh defense and what should be a much improved offense. Let’s kick the rust off early and give dedicated Steelers fans real reason for the optimism we’ve held for this team during the off-season.
Nonetheless, a simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ chance at starting the 2020 season off with a win.
- Steelers to kick off. Good. I’d rather have the D start on the field.
- Lucky that Engram dropped that ball, that would have been a second first down.
- I thought the Steelers were able to defend the pass?
- Glad to get off the field without giving up any points there.
- Diontae Johnson you are not my favorite Steeler right now. That was a terrible motion for a fair catch followed by not catching it. Switzer at least caught them.
- Thank God the defense is good. Lucky to only give up three letting them start inside the five yard line.
- A big 3rd and 5 early in the first drive… That looked awful!
- Bud Dupree big play on second down and helped clean things up on third down punt to come.
- JuJu with the big third down catch, but Ben is hobbling a little that makes me nervous.
- Low snap from Pouncey. He better get better at these snaps.
- Welcome to the NFL Mr Claypool.
- Promising drive stalls, but Boz ties the game.
- End of one score tied at three.
- Giving up way too many passing yards, but the Steelers are stuffing the run.
- That flag was way late. The worst part was I don’t think he could have caught the ball anyway.
- Suddenly can’t stop the passing game. This could be a rough game.
- Ben is not looking good.
- Three and out, not what I was looking for.
- Watt Watt Watt!!!!!!
- Third and a couple of inches. Better make this. Great a delay of game penalty. Just get up to the line snap it and sneak it.
- Thank you Eric Ebron. Now we’re talking.
- JuJu!!!!! Followed by Boswell clanking the PAT….. Too many jitters at the beginning of this game.
- That play from Barkley is the kind of stuff I was afraid of.
- Vince Williams with the sack!
- If Zach Banner can’t improve his pass blocking, people will be hollering for Chuks before long. Those were two awful pass blocking attempts in that series.
- Steelers get the ball back with a 1:32 to go. Will this be a vintage Ben moment?
- Moving the ball well here. Need to get at least three but I’d like seven.
- James Washington running tough!!! TD!!! Ben leads a great looking 2-minute drill.
- Steelers take a 16 to 10 lead to the locker room and will receive the second half kickoff.
- Decent return by Ray-Ray McCloud.
- Benny Snell looking good running the ball.
- Almost a beautiful grab by Washington on 3rd down. Punt team on.
- Kyle – “of course they give up a first down on 3rd and 14”.
- Terrell Edmunds got caught looking inside and gave up a first down.
- Referees missed a blatant hold on T.J. Watt on the 4th down play.
- Can’t get the defense off the field. Have to make a stop on 3rd down.
- Great pressure by Dupree picked off by Cam Heyward in the end zone, 19 play drive goes for 0 points.
- Great run by Benny Snell ruined by the fact instead of going out of bounds he fumbles. Thankful for JuJu on that one.
- Big sack there. Ben’s got to throw that ball away.
- End of the third. Still 16-10 Steelers.
- Nice catch by Claypool. instead of trying to get the first let’s get 10-12 yards and make it an easier kick.
- Kick is good Steelers up by two scores.
- Did Boswell really just put that kickoff out of bounds?
- Mike Hilton off the corner for the sack!!!!
- A score here would almost put it away.
- Need to convert this third down. Give the defense a breather and take more time off the clock.
- Diontae Johnson big third down catch.
- Diontae with another third down catch for a first down.
- Kyle: “Benny Snell showing the energy of a toddler on a sugar rush”
- Made the Giants take a timeout on defense there. That might really play in our favor at the end of the game.
- JuJu probably just sealed the W with that touchdown.
- The defense is giving up a long drive here. Not my most favorite thing, but they are making the Giants eat a lot of time.
- Big pressure from Highsmith. Didn’t get the sack but forced a throwaway. Two minute warning.
- Didn’t like giving up a touchdown there, but stopping the two-point conversion was huge.
- Benny Snell over a hundred yards tonight. Nice to have a 100 yard rusher.
- Love the fourth down call, and smart for Claypool to just slide down in bounds.
- Interested to see the reports on the injuries to Banner, Wisnewski and Conner. Two injuries to offensive linemen is a little nerve racking after Week 1.
- Victory formation. Three, two, one, WIN!!! In the words of Bill Goldberg “Who’s Next?”
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me, you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television. Now time process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward Week 2. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.