Photo by Joe Sargent/Getty Images
The Steelers came from behind to beat the Texans in Week 3, time to go over the knee jerk reactions from the game.
Let’s get this Week 3 party started. WATT!?! Steelers versus Texans in Pittsburgh. WATT!?! Steelers looking to stay undefeated. WATT!?! For the second time in consecutive seasons there will be three brothers on the same NFL field. WATT?!? Exactly!!! Are two heads better than one? Will the Steelers two Watts rack up a W against the Texans one? We are about to find out.
Nonetheless, a simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ chance at starting the 2020 season off with two straight wins.
- Steelers to kick off. Putting the D on the field first.
- T.J. Watt in Deshaun Watson’s face first play the game.
- Wow, it was nice to see a third and five and have the defense gets off the field.
- Big extra effort by JuJu Smith-Shuster on that third down play to pick up the first.
- Anthony McFarland gets his first play and first touch. He gained seven yards. Not bad.
- Jumbo package on first down. Pass to James Conner for 12 yards. Love it.
- I called the third down run to Jaylen Samuels before it happened. If I knew it was coming I imagine the Texans did too.
- Chris Boswell with the field goal. Steelers go up 3-0. I would have liked to had a touchdown there, but at least it’s points on their first possession.
- Steelers had the chance to get off the field in three plays for the second series, but it didn’t happen.
- The defense looked terrible on that series. give up three long pass plays including a touchdown. What happened to the secondary that’s supposed to be so good?
- Third down and Ben Roethlisberger is sacked. Let’s go with the double R double P type possession right after giving up a score.
- Mike Hilton sniffs out another wide receiver screen for a loss. He is really good at that.
- A big 3rd and 7 inside their own 10. Big Ben took two deep shots that series and neither one was close.
- Vince Williams has showed up to play today even if no one else has.
- End of the first quarter. Texans lead 7-3.
- When the Steelers play zone they get burned for a lot of yards almost every time.
- Another zone defense on 3rd down. Another big chunk of yards given up.
- The Texans pick up a first down on third and nine. They now have a first and goal.
- That touchdown run looked way too easy. I don’t know how the Steelers are going to pull this one out playing like this. 14-3 Texans.
- McFarland dropped an easy pass on first down. That’s not going to get you more game time.
- He at least made up for it on second down with a nice run.
- Eric Ebron with a nice catch on a first down play. Steelers are now in the red zone.
- Did anybody see the block Ben Roethlisberger threw on that first down run?
- Steelers had first and goal on the one. Ben gets called for intentional grounding on 2nd and goal. Now it’s third and goal at the 10. Terrible play.
- Eric Ebron!!! Gets his first touchdown as a Steeler. Steelers 10-Texans 14.
- The defense holds to a three and out this time. Steelers get the ball back with decent field position.
- Nice drive going here. Steelers already in field goal range, but they need to get a TD out of this.
- JuJu left wide open and walks into the endzone touchdown Steelers! Steelers up 17-14.
- The Steelers are getting killed when they play this soft zone. It looks too easy for the Texans.
- Watson is completing passes wherever he wants.
- Steelers give up a touchdown. As I said Watson is completing passes wherever he wants. The Steeler secondary is awful right now.
- 21-17 Texans at the Half.
- Steelers to receive the second half kickoff.
- McFarland opens the second half at running back.
- Third down and a half a yard and the Steelers can’t run the ball for a half yard? That’s awful. Why didn’t they quarterback sneak there?
- Conner converts the 4th down.
- Ben misses on his third long pass of the game. Had James Washington for a touchdown if Ben could have hit him.
- Ben with a scramble on third down. The Refs with a terrible spot there. Good challenge by the Steelers. If the Steelers don’t win this one I think something’s rigged. Kyle: “Jesse James caught that ball”.
- I don’t see it, but they still didn’t give the Steeler that challenge. I don’t know what the rules are in the NFL anymore. Oh wait, yes I do. It’s screw the Steelers every chance possible.
- Back-to-back tough catches that need to be made by the receivers.
- Chris Boswell with the FG. 21-20 Texans.
- The defense gets them to a third and seven. Do we want to take a bet that the Steelers give this up against the soft zone?
- Wow, Steelers played the soft zone, but forced a throw underneath and made the tackle.
- After a nice return by Ray-Ray McCloud, Ben takes a sack on first down. Matt Filer wiffed on that block
- 3rd and 16th and James Washington runs a 15-yard route.
- Stephan Tuitt with a huge sack on third and four. The defense holds to get the ball back.
- Claypool was obviously being held on that third down throw. He was trying to make a one-handed grab because his other arm was being held. Where is the flag now? I’m telling you the Refs have it out for the Steelers.
- End of the third, Texans 21, Steelers 20.
- Steelers have a 3rd and 10, any guess what they do here? Of course they play soft zone and give up a big play.
- Now the Steelers have them at 3rd and 15. I feel like a replay is coming.
- Mike Hilton comes up with the INT. Watson takes a hit from Watt on the sideline he looks a little woozy after that one.
- Third down and five for the Steelers. Nice pass on an out route to Ebron.
- Benny Snell Jr, with a nice up the middle run on third down to pick up the first.
- Ben is trying to throw the ball down the field, but his throws have not looked that good getting there.
- Touchdown James Conner. I think they should go for two here.
- Nice conversion to JuJu Smith-Schuster to take a seven-point lead.
- Now the defense needs to come out and make a stop. The offense held the ball and gave them a nice breather.
- Watt with the sack!!!
- Have them at a 3rd and 26. Please just hold them short.
- Done! Now take this punt and then do something with it.
- Excellent run by Conner on first down.
- 4th and 1 for the Steelers. What do they do here? They are on the fringe of field goal range.
- Looks like we’re going for it. A quarterback sneak would be great right now.
- Threw it on fourth down complete to James Washington.
- Big play there on 3rd and 9. Throw the short route to Chase Claypool. He almost takes it to the house. Was lucky he fumbled it out of bounds and not through the end zone.
- The Steelers really seem to have dominated this second half in terms of possession, and long drives.
- I love to see the Steelers in victory formation.
- The sack streak continues, and the turnover streak finally comes to an end.
- Three, two, one, WIN!!! 3-0 for the Steelers.
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me, you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television. Now time process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward Week 4. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.
For a full recap of Mike Tomlin’s post-game press conference, check out the podcast below: