Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
It was anything but pretty, but it still goes down as a victory.
Here we are, Week 9 of the NFL season and the Pittsburgh Steelers are looking to rewrite some Steelers history by being the first Steelers team to start a season 8-0. Standing in their way, the Dallas Cowboys. Picture the Steelers-Cowboys match-ups in Super Bowls of the ‘70’s; this isn’t that kind of match-up. How about the Superbowl at the end of the ‘95 season? Not that kind of match-up either. This is a game of two teams going in completely opposite directions. The Steelers are riding the wave of a 7-game undefeated streak, while Dallas still has playoff aspirations only because they play in the putrid NFC East. One thing I can tell you for certain is the Cowboys would like nothing more than to be the first team to hang an L on the Steelers this season, so they will come out fired up. If the Steelers can get up quickly in this game, things could snowball on Dallas and become an easy Steelers victory. Enough speculation, let’s get to the game.
A simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion I may not actually be from Pittsburgh, but grew up close enough to be a Yinzer). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ effort to continue the unbeaten streak.
- Steelers to receive the first half kickoff.
- Ben Roethlisberger showing the jets on third down rushes for the first.
- Steelers face third down just in Dallas territory. Like to see this drive keep going.
- Looked like a little bit of interference on the Dallas cornerback there, but no flag. Claypool should have caught that anyway. Steelers to punt.
- On third down we give up a big play. Is anybody feeling trap game yet?
- Steelers defense looks to be getting beat up on the run again this week.
- Third down, we need to stop them here to hold them through a field goal.
- Sack!!! Highsmith!!! The sack streak continues.
- Dallas kicks a field goal to take a 3-0 lead. The offense needs to step it up here.
- The offense responds by coming out on first down and losing almost 5 yards. Steelers not looking like they really want to play today.
- That offensive series was horrible. Get it together Randyland.
- End of an uninspiring first quarter. Cowboys 3, Steelers 0.
- Steelers held to a three-and-out. Offense gets the ball back.
- Offense has put together a couple first downs. Could they be getting in rhythm?
- Third and one, Anthony McFarland was stopped.
- Steelers go back-to-back plays third and one and fourth and one running straight up the middle and gained zero.
- The defense keeps giving up first downs by letting the quarterback run 10 plus yards. Gee whiz, the guy’s not even fast.
- That dude was wide open for the touchdown. Steelers look nothing like an undefeated team. And Dallas looks like a playoff team. Dallas 10, Steelers 0.
- Another atrocious offensive series by the Steelers. That’s terrible.
- Steelers got burned bad on that throwback on a terrific punt by Berry. They were lucky that didn’t go for a touchdown.
- The defense holds, forcing a field goal. Steelers zero, Cowboys 13. The Steelers look to be playing uninspired football.
- The offense is picked up a couple first downs. Have it near midfield, two minute warning. Steelers should have worked quicker and gotten a play off before the stopage.
- Big Ben got rocked on that play. I hope he’s okay.
- Grandpa strong! James Washington with the touchdown catch. Steelers are back in this game. But they normally dependable Boswell misses the extra point. Steelers 6, Cowboys 13.
- Ben’s going into the locker room early. He was showing that his knee was hurt. That has me worried.
- Fumble! Recovered by Minkah!
- Now Mason Rudolph has to come in to play quarterback since Roethlisberger went to the locker room.
- Boswell will attempt a 54-yard field goal. He missed it, but there was a false start on Cam Heyward. Now Boswell will try from 59 yards.
- He gets a chance to redeem himself, and Boswell comes through. End of the half Dallas 13, Pittsburgh 9.
- Could have used the three and out by the defense to start the second half. Since that didn’t happen now I have to hope they just keep them from scoring.
- There are too many times where the Steelers have linebackers covering wide receivers. I don’t care how athletics the linebackers are they are not made to cover wide receivers.
- The defense stiffens to hold Dallas to a 45-yard field goal try. It’s right down the middle Dallas 16, Steelers 9.
- Of course CBS has to show Tony Romo with a smug smile on his face. Steelers need to smack that smile right off.
- Big 3rd down for the Steelers offense already. Roethlisberger gets hit and the ball is almost picked. Punt team on after a three and out.
- 3rd and 5 I knew they were going to run it and they still ran it for a first down.
- Missed tackle, give up another 16. I feel our undefeated streak coming to an end.
- Dallas converts another third down where we have a linebacker covering a wide receiver.
- How about 3rd and 9 in the Steelers let them run it for a first down. Okay so they were interest short. But it never should have gotten to that.
- Another field goal for Dallas. The Steelers have given up 19 points to a team that didn’t score that many points in their last two games combined. Dallas 19, Pittsburgh 9.
- JuJu Smith-Schuster waking up on this drive.
- End of the third. Dallas 19, Pittsburgh 9. The Steelers are driving but need to put up a score.
- Between listening to Romo call this game, and all the commercials that he’s in. I think I’m going to be sick.
- One play, JuJu Smith-Schuster with a touchdown!
- And the extra point is blocked. Maybe the Steelers should start going for two since they’re having such issues with the extra points.
- Steelers take a penalty to kickoff from midfield and give up a return like that. It’s insane. What has happened to the special teams coverage this week? Something that had been a strength is coming back to bite them. The Steelers had all the momentum and gave it right back to the Cowboys.
- Now the defense is getting gashed like crazy. Every time I think the Steelers are back in it they give up some plays to go right back out of it.
- Minkah comes up with an end zone pick. Should have taken the touch back. Instead they take a penalty and will start very deep in their own territory.
- Steelers convert a first down. That’s big. Now if they can take it the rest of the way down the field I would be very happy.
- Boy Steelers’ fans are praying that the flag is on the defense or else the Steelers just turned it over. Thank God for that illegal contact.
- Dallas gets a personal foul after an Anthony McFarland run.
- On third down and eight, Ben has the past tipped and it falls harmlessly to the turf.
- Boswell kicks a field goal, score is now Dallas 19, Pittsburgh 18. Nothing like another heart attack game. My life expectancy gets shortened every week.
- Henry Mondeux make a nice play on that run.
- The defense holds on third down. Dallas punts.
- Two incomplete passes have the Steelers looking at third and ten already.
- Wow the Steelers got lucky with a roughing the passer call on an incomplete third down pass.
- Diontae Johnson makes a big play. Makes a guy miss, big gain. Pittsburgh is in business.
- Ebron scores a touchdown!!! Steelers should go for two here.
- They do but it is incomplete. Steelers 24, Cowboys 19.
- The two missed extra points were big on that call to then go for two. Hit all three and Steelers are up 27 to 19.
- 2 minutes to play. It’s on the defense now.
- Cam Sutton almost picked that ball off.
- I don’t know how the quarterback got that ball to Elliott, but thank goodness Haden made that tackle.
- Fourth down and eight. Stop here would all but seal it.
- Cam Hayward and T.J. Watt combined for the sack and the Steelers take over on downs!
- I’m curious as to why the Steelers went for it on fourth down. If they were going to run it why didn’t we run it with authority instead of something slow developing.
- Dallas now makes one throw out of bounds and they’re at midfield. They are going to have a chance to win this game when Pittsburgh should have kicked a field goal to put it all but out of reach. I guess they lived in their fears.
- I can’t stand it that the Steelers put it on the defense to make a stop again.
- I cannot stand that there is yet another blatant hold on TJ Watt that they will not call.
- I can’t watch.
- Whew!!!! Incomplete pass.
- Three two, one, win! 8 and 0 baby. New franchise record for unbeaten at the start of a season!
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me (and Kyle), you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle does). Now time to process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward Week 10 and the Cincinnati Bungles (bring on the Cryin Bangles Lady). Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.