Photo by Joe Sargent/Getty Images
The Steelers needed a signature win? They just got it.
Let’s get to Week 6, after the Steelers’ Week 5 victory against the cross state rivals from Philly, we took the high road and did not rub it in to Kyle’s two Uncles who are die hard Eagles fans (not my side of the family, but minus the Eagles stuff we like them alright, one even married a Steelers fan). Next up, the Browns from Cleveland. The Steelers are undefeated and yet there are plenty of fans out there who are not confident in the Steelers chances against the Browns. Really people? The game is in Pittsburgh, and it’s the Browns. Let me repeat that one part again: “IT’S THE BROWNS!” The Steelers have owned the Browns in Pittsburgh since the Browns were reincarnated after they disguised themselves and moved to Baltimore (more on that another day). Okay, enough of this, let’s get to the game.
A simple reminder, a knee jerk reaction is an immediate and unthinking, emotional reaction. It’s basically shooting first and apologizing later (forget that, I apologize for none of my emotion I may not actually be from Pittsburgh, but grew up close enough to be a Yinzer). I can safely say that’s a true definition of your’s truly and a good lot of Steelers’ Nation. Here’s my real-time (and possibly a little bit of my son Kyle’s) reactions during the Steelers’ effort to continue the unbeaten streak.
- Browns win the toss and defer. Steelers will start with the football.
- RPO on the second play I don’t like the looks of that that was nearly a pick.
- James Washington beautiful catch.
- Effective running on this drive.
- And that’s another Pittsburgh Steelers… First down!
- Ben Roethlisberger threw that pass late, or it might have been a touchdown.
- The no touchdowns on the opening drive streak continues, but at least Chris Boswell knocks through three.
- Let Cam Hayward land on Baker Mayfield. That’ll feel good on his bruised ribs.
- Everybody wanted to see Minkah Fitzpatrick make a big play—there it was! Pick 6 baby!!!! 10-0 Steelers!
- Kyle likes the Cleveland version of the double R double P. Run, run, pass, pick six.
- Continue the sack streak. Bud Dupree the first one there. Browns to punt.
- Ben almost threw a pick again. He’s got to stop doing that. Look like the same exact play from before.
- That was an ugly three and out.Not one single play had anything good to say about it
- Mike Hilton missed a tackle on that run. This is getting to be a streak of his.
- Will this 3rd and 10 be another version of the soft zone? Joe Hayden forces Odell Beckham Jr out of bounds no catch.
- Third and four and the Steelers go to that same RPO to the slant. Not nearly intercepted this time but ball batted down at the line. Why have they run the same play three times when it has not worked yet?
- Should not have given up a first down there. That was a terrible tackling effort by Joe Haden.
- End of the first period Steelers 10 Browns 0
- Steelers are giving up too much offense to the running backs.
- Almost had a sack on that third down play. But now they might go for it on 4th down. Heyward couldn’t quite get Mayfield to the ground.
- Need a fourth down stop here. False start on Cleveland. That probably ends that fourth down try. The Browns to punt.
- I will take a 15-yard run on first down. Nice job James Conner.
- Eric Ebron first down.
- Chase Claypool long pass sets the Steelers up inside the five.
- James Conner touchdown!!!!! 17-0 Steelers.
- Finally they threw the flag for a hold on T.J. Watt.
- Watt almost makes the sack, Cam Sutton comes up with the interception. Give the ball back to the good guys.
- First and five they knew the Steelers were going to run it and they lose yards. First and five is the time to throw.
- 13 yards by Connor on third down and one. I love it!
- James Washington, grandpa strong wide open for the touchdown!!!
- 24-0, this is like a McDonald’s commercial… Da da da da da I’m loving it. (You know you sang that)
- How in the world do they leave Austin Hooper that wide open?
- Devin Bush got dinged up on that first down play. Boy I hope he’s all right. He seems to be the heart of that defense.
- 2 minute warning. Cleveland with a third and five deep into Pittsburgh territory.
- Devin Bush heading to the locker room early.
- Browns picked up the first down. Steelers need to keep them out of the touchdown zone.
- How in the world do you drop eight guys into coverage and leave somebody wide open in the end zone?
- I was sitting here thinking the Steelers could score with the time left. Instead they go incomplete pass, sack. Now Cleveland’s taking a time out because they’re thinking maybe they could score some more points.
- And now James Washington decides to take a pass and go out of bounds to let Cleveland save a timeout. Steelers have not played this last couple minutes very well.
- Throw in a 5-yd penalty on the punt, and Cleveland really has a good chance to score more points. This is pathetic.
- Thank goodness for an offensive pass interference call. That might kill Cleveland’s efforts to get some more points at the end of the half.
- That should have been called a sack. They should not let that throw count, but they are because why the referees hate Steelers. At least it forced a punt
- Steelers take a knee, and take a 24-7 lead to the locker room. The Browns will receive the second half kickoff.
- Kyle: “Tony Romo is actually doing something at a football stadium.”
- Browns start inside their own 20.
- Watt and Dupree combine for the sack.
- Third down and 23. Did the Steelers have a way that they can give up this first down?
- Cleveland runs the ball for a loss, it was actually fumbled but Cleveland recovered. Steelers start with the ball on the positive side of the 50.
- Two James Conner runs leave the Steelers just short of a first down. Need to convert this third down.
- Not a great looking play there on third down. Looks like the Steelers are going for it on 4th and 1.
- Conner converts, first down Steelers.
- Busted play. Ben scrambles for a few yards on 1st and 19.
- Ebron for a first down on 3rd and 13. Flag! Ebron got called for past interference
- Steelers have to punt. Would have like to put points on the board there. And then the punt goes into the end zone for a touchback.
- Mike Hilton missed another tackle, and is now is down on the ground hurt.
- Cleveland’s going to challenge that third down play. Anybody want to put bets on the fact that New York will overturn it and give Cleveland a first down? I’d say chances are pretty high we all know how New York wants to keep games close. Gave the catch, but not the first down.
- Cleveland with a fourth and one and are going to go for it. Steelers hit it for a loss take over inside the 30.
- Three straight runs by Connor pick up a Steeler first down.
- Connor had a nice wiggle on that run to turn a loss into a decent gain.
- Now 4th and 1 for the Steelers on the 5-yard line and they are going for it. Quarterback sneak for the first down.
- Claypool with another rushing touchdown!!!! 31-7 Steelers.
- Kyle: “Back to back games with at least 30 points.”
- Case Keenum in a quarterback for the Browns. Are they trying to rally or is this a white flag?
- Robert Spillane just blew up that screen.
- Wow! Could the Steelers have played any softer zone on 2nd and forever to give up a first down? Now is the time to put the pedal down and put an end to this game not let them stick around.
- End of three….31-7 Steelers.
- Steelers start the 4th quarter playing the same soft zone. Stop please.
- Steelers hold on 3rd and 2, but at this point Cleveland’s going for it on 4th and 2.
- Didn’t get it. Steelers take over on downs.
- On that rush James Conner goes over a hundred yards.
- Steelers are just running at will on the Browns right now.
- Claypool gets it down to the one Benny Snell takes it in for Steeler touchdown.
- Wow! That was a horrible snap on the extra point attempt. Great job to get it down and Boswell does a great job kicking it through.
- For once I’m sitting here in the fourth quarter and I don’t really have much to talk about. This one is pretty much over.
- Steelers held on another 4th and 1. Steelers get the ball back in good position.
- You know it’s out of hand with Mason Rudolph is coming in to take some snaps at quarterback. This is the way I like to see Rudolph enter a game.
- Kyle: “Good, Myles Garrett is on the sideline at least Mason Rudolph is safe.”
- Steelers are basically just trying to run clock now. Three and out Steelers will punt.
- We’ve reached the 2-minute warning. this game has pretty much been over for the last 9 to 10 minutes.
- Steelers take over with 1:44 to go, I expect to see some victory formation.
- Three, two, one, dominating win!!! 5-0 looks good. Who’s Next!
Once again, I just fired off what was going through my head at the time. All reactions were in real time. Basically, it is the equivalent of watching the game with me (and Kyle), you just don’t have to go to another room because I am screaming at the television (sometimes Kyle does). Now time process it, some quick analyzing for the Scho Bro Show, and then put it behind me as we move toward Week 7. Make sure you get your voice heard in the comments below.